Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hey.... Birthday Girl!!

I admit it. I was excited for the family to get home last night to begin my birthday celebration.  My son flung open the back door, "Hey-ey...! Birthday girl!! We have a surprise for you!"  I couldn't wait to see what was hidden in his red backpack JUST FOR ME!  Yay!

I quickly realized, my son was the day's special helper in class which meant three things: 1. He could wash his hands first after lunch 2. He was first in line whenever the class went somewhere and 3. He could bring home the coveted silver "letter" box.  The box was my surprise. 

Upon becoming a mom, I realized quickly that life was no longer solely about me.  I fought this. I still do from time to time.

"That's great, Handsome! What's the letter?" I was actually very excited for him.  The letter box is something each kid takes turns bringing home. They find 5 things around the house that start with the letter of the week, and then bring it back the next day for show and tell.   He's been waiting his turn for two weeks.

"T.  I want to bring Toothless, my dragon." 

"OK.  Let's do a scavenger hunt for the rest of the stuff".  And off we went. 

A few minutes later I heard whimpers from my little Buggy.  She was standing in the kitchen, hat and mittens still on.  I became so excited about the box, I didn't even notice the card she was holding in her hand. It was pink with snowflake stickers and absolutely perfect.  I hugged her tight and she whispered, "Daddy has a surprise for you." 

My Hubby then stumbled through the door carrying one backpack, two stuffed animals, three grocery bags, and a 6 pack of beer.  "Hi Babe."  I said.  He just grunted in response.

Next I heard my son yelling from the bathroom upstairs, "Momma!! Come here!! I have another surprise for youuuuu!" 

When I walked into the bathroom, I knew what was coming next "I pooped. It's your birthday present! I knew you'd be so happy, right Momma?"

I said "Of course! Good job!"

Ahhhh... Motherhood. 

So, after some delicious linquine with clam sauce (prepared by my husband) and some entertaining dinner conversation, it was time for the cake.  My son had chosen a carvel ice cream cake in the shape of a snowman.  It was perfect. 

As my family was preparing the candles and shutting off all the lights in the house I starting to feel like a kid. I hadn't felt this excitement since I was a teenager. I was happy to have it back again.  As the cake was placed in front of me and I thought about my wish, I realized that I could not think of one.  That is, I couldn't think of one for me.  Everything was for them... their happiness, their dreams, their wishes. 

So, to all you Momma's out there:  It's YOUR birthday.  Make a wish! You deserve it.  Then have a GIANT piece of cake. 

xoxo AVE

No comments:

Post a Comment